A great compilation of data about the growth and impact of mobile has been Morgan Stanley Research’s Mobile Internet Report. Primary author of the report, Mary Meeker, is now with Kleiner Perkins and has released an updated version of the data including:
- Global shipments of smartphones and tablets surpassed shipments of desktop PCs and notebooks in Q42010. This gap is expected to increase over the next few years.
- 60% of time spent on smartphones is new activity for mobile users.
- Global mobile data traffic should grow 26x over next 5 years.
- Global mobile 3G subscribers grew 35% year over year and now number about 726MM.
- Japan’s social networking site, Mixi, illustrates the importance of mobile: 85% of page views on mobile vs. 14% 4.5 years ago.
- 50% of total active Twitter users are on multiple platforms (mobile) compared to 25% a year ago. 40% of all tweets are sent via mobile.
- 50% of Pandora’s total user base subscribes to the service on mobile.
- Check out the full report for more.