Google posted their 10 concepts of design on their corporate page and I think they are an awful lot like the industry standards:
1. Focus on people—their lives, their work, their dreams.
2. Every millisecond counts.
3. Simplicity is powerful.
4. Engage beginners and attract experts.
5. Dare to innovate.
6. Design for the world.
7. Plan for today’s and tomorrow’s business.
8. Delight the eye without distracting the mind.
9. Be worthy of people’s trust.
10. Add a human touch.
What I found interesting, were the descriptions and explanations of how they achieve these design goals. Whether they are successful or not, they leave to us to decide.