There were not too many surprises at for the announcements today at the opening of WWDC 2009. The release date continues to be the same for the iPhone 3.0 update and there newest iPhone. There are some Snow Leopard announcements and some hardware changes for the year. This is a list of the essentials.
iPhone 3.0 is free for iPhone owners, naturally. $9.95 for iPod touch owners. Available worldwide June 17, the day often cited and the most likely release date for the new iPhone.
The key improvements for the 3.0 software have been heard before (additional blog entries on iPhone 3.0 Software updates):
- Cut, copy & paste
- Landscape and landscape keyboard to Mail, Notes and Messages
- In app purchases (e.g. magazine subscriptions)Peer to peer connectivity (for games, mostly)
- Accessories (glucose level readers best example)
- Maps. Embed Google Map services into your app. Turn by turn directions
- Push notifications. ESPN score alerts. Instant messages. Numbers (like how many messages are backed up).
iPhone 3GS announced today. 2 to 3.6 times faster. Not everything is as fast. Average two times faster. Built in 7.2 Mbps HSDPA. Amazing features (most of which we’ve heard in the rumors previously):
- Built-in camera. 3 megapixel, not 3.2 as expected. Autofocus, whitebalance, exposure, tap to focus. Low light sensitivity better. Automacro as well, as close as 10 cm away.
- Also captures video. New switch that says still or video. 30 frames per second. autofocus etc.
- Edit from the iPhone.
- Can share (AT&T doesn’t yet)
- Voice control. Hold down the home button. Commands you can use are scrolling by. Call contact. What’s playing now. Play more songs like this (makes Genius playlist on the fly.)
- Built-in digital compass.
- Accessibility features.
- Support for Nike +
- Hardware encryption (for the IT guys). Makes for instantaneous remote wipe.
- Improved battery life. Up to 9 hours surfing with wifi, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2G talk time, 5 hours of 3G talk.
- Fastest, most powerful iPhone yet
This new iPhone is coming July 19. There is a $99 iPhone, available now. There are new MacBook Pros. And there are lots of things for the developers to learn about iPhone 3.0 and Mac OS X. But there is no Steve Jobs. He seems to be out of the picture (at least until July 19th).
Prices for new iPhone:
- 16 GB $199
- 32 GB $299
- In addition, keeping the iPhone 3G on the market for $99 for 8 GB
That 8GB price starts today.
For more details, see: